SHAWANO COUNTY HISTORY
Myron Hawley McCord (November 26, 1840 – April 27,
1908) was a U.S.
Representative from Wisconsin
Born in Ceres, McKean
County, Pennsylvania, McCord attended
Richburg Academy, New York. He moved to
Wisconsin in 1854 and settled in Shawano, Shawano County. He moved to Merrill
in 1875, where he became a lumberman and farmer, and published a newspaper
between 1868-1883. McCord served as a member of the Wisconsin State Senate
in 1873 and 1874, the Wisconsin State Assembly 1881, and as delegate
to the Republican National Convention in 1876. He is listed in the Register of
the United States land office at Wausau, Wisconsin,
from February 26, 1884, to June 24, 1885.
McCord was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-first Congress (March
4, 1889-March 3, 1891). He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1890
to the Fifty-second Congress and for election in 1892 to the Fifty-third
Congress. He returned to Merrill, Wisconsin, and engaged in agricultural
pursuits and lumbering. He was appointed by President McKinley as Governor of
Arizona Territory in 1897, but resigned in 1898 to organize the Territorial
Regiment for the Spanish-American War. He was then appointed United States
marshal for the district of Arizona on May 1, 1902, and served until July 1,
1905. McCord was later appointed collector of customs for the port of Nogales, Arizona.
He died in Phoenix, Arizona,
on April 27, 1908, and was interred in Merrill Cemetery, Merrill, Wisconsin.
In February of 1865, he came to
Shawano and became editor of the Shawano County Journal, then owned by Myron
McCord and A.G. Rockwell. Subsequently the three men joined with 11 others and
founded Shawano Lodge 170 F.& A.M.
==================== ================== ==================
Myron H. McCord was born in Ceres, McKean Co.,
Penn., Nov. 26, 1840. He came to Wisconsin with his father in 1854, reaching
Oshkosh on the fifty day of August. On the 7th of August he started on the
old streamer “Barlow” for Shawano, but that boat was destined never to reach
there, for she had barely cleared her mornings when a boiler exploded, killing
the engineer and fireman and badly injuring several of the passengers. The next
board that left for Shawano was the old “Peytona,” which safely made the trip,
and the subject of our sketch landed in Shawano on the eleventh day of August.
He immediately hire out to work on a farm for the firm of Lewis & Andrews,
which firm owned a farm, a saw-mill and a large tract of pine timber, that
afterward became immensely valuable, some of it selling as high as $7 per
thousand feet on the stump. He worked for them during the fall and the
following winter, for $13 per month. The next spring he went on the log drive,
and stayed with it until the logs were rafted out at Bay, twelve miles above
Oshkosh. For the summer’s hard work he was to receive $1.50 a day, but he never
received it, as the man he worked for ran away and did not pay any of his men.
These were about the first logs that were ever driven down the Wolf River from
Shawano. Mr. McCord, when he learned that the man for whom he had worked so
long and hard had run away, hailed the first steamboat that came up the river,
and took passage for New London, which was as near Shawano as the boats ran at
that time. When the captain called for his far, he was informed of the
situation, but only remarked that he did not carry passengers for nothing, and
the young boy was put off at the next landing and compelled to make his way
along the bank of the river as best he could. He managed, however, to get home,
and went to work again. From that time on, for the next five years, he worked
by the month in summer time, and went to school in the winter. He thus obtained
experience which was valuable, and a fair education. When he was twenty years
old, he began to do business for himself, putting in logs in the winter, and
doing public work, such as building bridges, roads, etc., in the summer time.
He continued in the lumber business on the Wolf River until 1874, when he
closed up his business, which was very large, and removed to Jenny, on the
Wisconsin Rivers, with a view to engaging in the same business at the place until
after the completion of the Wisconsin Valley Railroad. Then he formed what is
known as the Jenny Lumber Co., of which company he is now president, and owns
two-thirds of the stock. He is also a member of the firm or Ross, McCord &
Co., bankers, which is a solid concern, as both Mr. Ross and Mrs. Scott are
very wealthy men, while Mr. McCord is now considered well off. Mr. McCord has
held several offices of trust and honor, though he by no means can be classed
as an office-seeker. In 1864, he was elected County Superintendent of Schools
for Shawano County, and re-elected in 1871, without opposition. In 1872 he was
elected to the State Senate, and served two sessions. He was unanimously
re-nominated by his party, which was largely in the majority in his district,
but he declined the proffered honor. In 1876, he was elected a Delegate to the
Republican National Convention, and ardently supported Mr. Blaine’s candidacy
until the very last. In 1880, he was elected to the Assembly, and was a
prominent candidate for Speaker, though he withdrew in the interest of harmony
in his party. Mr. McCord has published a newspaper since he became a resident
of Lincoln County, namely the Lincoln County Advocate, and has done much to
build up his town and county, and in fact the whole Upper Wisconsin River
Valley. That this is fully appreciated by his friends and neighbors, cannot be
better illustrated, than by stating the fact that at the election for member of
the Assembly, in 1880, he received every vote but twelve in the county where he
lives. His contributions to public and private charities are liberal, and even
generous. He is a high-minded, honorable gentleman, who has honestly and
conscientiously discharged every trust, both public and private, committed to
his charge. He is a man of ability and integrity, and should he live and be
inclined to look after political distinction, will undoubtedly be called to
places of greater distraction than any heretofore held by him.
Daniel Haight Pulcifer
Born in Vergennes, Addison County Vermont on November 16, 1834, in his early youth Daniel Haight Pulcifer was responsible for the entire economic support of his family which consisted of his Father, Mother and 12 siblings. His formal education was limited and at age twenty he could not write and could read only with great difficulty.
He became a “printers devil” and at age 21, in 1855, he migrated from Whitehall, New York in Waushara County. Three years later, his self-education had advanced to the stage where he was able to become a journalist.
He became editor, successively, of the Pine River Argus, (Pine River, Waushara County) the Plover Times (Plover, Portage County), the Columbus Republic, (Columbus) and the Commonwealth (Fon du Lac). In February of 1865, he came to Shawano and became editor of the Shawano County Journal, then owned by Myron McCord and A.G. Rockwell. Subsequently the three men joined with 11 others and founded Shawano Lodge 170 F.& A.M.
He was elected Deputy Sheriff of Shawano County. The following year he was elected Sheriff and served with distinction, arresting armed felons and , on one occasion, receiving a wound, which required painful and dangerous surgical operation. He was Deputy U.S. Marshall, State Assemblyman, Compiler of the State of Wisconsin Blue Book in 1879, and in 1874 the first Mayor of Shawano. He served three terms. (Other Masons who were the first elected officials of the City of Shawano include: Spencer Wiley, R.W. Lambert, G.W. Gibes, CL Wiley, M.H. McCord, H.M. Looker and Hiram Bruce.) Pulcifer was also; Hotel Owner, Stagecoach Operator, Land Developer, Merchant (Kuckuk and Pulcifer), Owner of Shawano County Journal and a Republican, active in local, State and National politics.
In 1882, the Postmaster General of the United States appointed him Postal Inspector. In this office he traveled throughout all of the States of the Union. Despite political changes, he continued to serve in that position for thirteen years. An 1895 publication of J.H. Beers & Co. (Chicago), referring to D.H. Pulcifer, stated; “Such is a brief sketch of one of Wisconsin’s typical self-made men and representative successful business citizens, one possessed of much natural ability, supported by a due allowance of courage, acumen and, perhaps best of all, sound judgment in all his acts, and to be relied upon as a friend in all circumstances.”
DANIEL HAIGHT PULCIFER – than whom there is no one better known
throughout the entire State of Wisconsin, in both public and private life, is a
man of whom the city and county of Shawano may well feel proud.
He is a native of Vermont, born at Vergennes,
Addison County, November 16, 1834, and comes from a sturdy race, for the most
part farmers, who lived by honest toil in the valleys of the Green
Mountains. His father, a ship carpenter
by trade and a native of New York State, married Mary Haight, who was of the
same nativity, and they had a family o thirteen children, six of them being
sons – of whom the following reached maturity: Daniel H., subject of sketch;
Edwin D. a wealthy farmer of Plainview, Pierce Co., Neb., where he is prominent
in local politics as a stanch Republican; and Jane E., Mrs. Charles Connely, of
Syracuse, N. Y.; Mary E., Mrs. Dennis Darling of near Syracuse, N. Y.,; Martha
E., Mrs. William H. Wright, of Syracuse, N. Y.; Bertha, Mrs. David Jones, of
Shawano, WIs; and Dora R., Mrs. Parmalee W. Ackerman, of Shawano, Wisconsin.
Owing to an unfortunate infirmity, the father
of this large family was unable tow holly support them, and as a consequence
much fell upon the shoulders of the eldest son, our subject, who, for some
years, was the mainstay of the family, the entire support, I fact; but he was
equal to the task, and the spirit of determination and resoluteness, which has
so forcibly characterized his entire after life, was a dominant feature in his
boyhood years. Thus, it can be readily
understood how it was that his education was so limited that at the age of
twenty he could read, with great difficulty, and write not at all, much of what
he did know having been gained by practical experience in a country printing
office which he entered as an apprentice at the age of fourteen years, at Whitehall, N. Y., and where he had to do all
the chores that usually fall to the lot of a happy printer’s “devil”. In 1855, at the age of twenty-one years, he
migrated to Wisconsin, locating at Oasis, Waushara County; but in February,
1865, he removed to Shawano, where his energy, honesty, and genial temperament
soon made him one of the popular citizens of that new section. In the meantime, he had some more
newspaper-office experience, where he had little difficulty in appreciating the
necessity of improving what little education he had, and, with all the energy
of a strong physical and mental constitution, he proceeded with a fixed
determination, not only to learn, but even to excel, if possible, in the spring
of 1858, He made a bold dash into the arena of journalism by starting, at Pine
River, Wis., the Pine River Argus
which soon afterward was merged into the Waushara
County Argus, the plant being removed from Wautoma, where Mr. Pulcifer
succeeded, by ingenuity and finessing, in securing the county printing
< contract>, taking it out of the hands of another office and this proved
a source of considerable profit to him.
Later, he sold out the Argus
and became editor of the Plover Times,
at Plover, Portage County; still later he became editor and proprietor of the Columbus Republican, at Columbus, Wis.,
so continuing until in 1863 he became connected with the Commonwealth, at Fond du Lac [daily and weekly]
, as local editor. Severing his connection with this journal in
February, 1865, Mr. Pulcifer came, as already related above, t Shawano [his
family following him a few days later], to take charge of the <Shawano County> Journal,
having a thriving newspaper of that city, with which he was connected for some time.
In 1889 he became of a member of the Kuckkuk
& Pulcifer, general merchants, Shawano.
Our subject filled various offices, among them
t hose of clerk of the court, sheriff, and deputy U. S. marshal, and served
three terms as mayor of the city of Shawano.
In 1866 he was elected to represent the District of which Shawano County
formed a art in the Assembly , and was again chosen in 1878, each time by an
unusual majority. He was also
sergeant-at-arms of the Assembly in 1880.
As a legislator he was practical and influential. His firm convictions, clear perception, and
affable, tough brusque, manner, made him a universal favorite with members of
both political parties. In 1882 he was
appointed, by Postmaster-general Howe, post office inspector, and he was
regarded as one of the shrewdest and most valuable officials in that most
difficult branch of the service.
Reminiscences of his experience would make an interesting volume, and
thousands of post offices were subject to his examination. Among those agencies of Uncle Sam he was
noted for his patient kindness in giving instruction and counsel to the
inexperienced, and In meting out justice fearlessly in cases of dishonesty or
willful negligence. Patience,
shrewdness, industry, and cool judgment are requisites of a successful
inspector, and few officials possess these qualities in a greater degree than
did Mr. Pulcifer. He was continuously retained in his position in spite of political
changes, serving as inspector under Postmaster-general Howe, Gen. Gresham,
Frank Hatton, William F. Vilas, Don E Dickinson, John Wannamaker and W. S.
Bissell, under all of which administrations he was never once censured for
failing to do the work assigned to him.
His duties in the capacity of post office inspector took him into thirty
other States and Territories, and his labors in Arkansas, Missouri,
Mississippi, North Carolina, Virginia, and other Southern States gave him a
rare opportunity to acquaint himself with the customs and habits of the people
of those sections; and his after conversations about them and their ways were
regarded by his friends as being “as entertaining as a lecture.” As sheriff he was known for his utter
fearlessness in the discharge of his
duty. On several occasions he arrested
parties who drew revolvers and knives on him, but Sheriff Pulcifer was always
quick and strong enough to arrest his man without serious injury, although he
was wounded on one occasion, necessitating a painful and dangerous surgical
On July 6, 1856, Mr. Pulcifer was married at
Oasis, Waushara Co., Wis., to Miss Anne E Wright, a native of New York State,
born May 26, 1840, whence when a girl she accompanied her parents, Orvil and
Emily Wright, to Wisconsin, their first new western home being made at
Kenosha. To Mr. and Mrs. D. H. Pulcifer
were born children as follows: Orvil W.,
who was a farmer in South Dakota, dying there at the age of twenty-seven years;
John H., a prosperous merchant of Shawano, who married Laura E. McLaughlin, at
White Lake, S. D., in 1885; Charles, deceased in infancy; and Mary E., now Mrs.
Anton Kuckkuk, of Shawano. In his
political preferences Mr. Pulcifer has always been a stanch Republican since
the organization of that party, and he was the first man , in the Republican
State Convention of 1880 to vote for Gen. Grant [as a delegate from the Fist
Senatorial District]. During the
Harrison Convention of 1892, held at Minneapolis, he was appointed messenger,
duties of importance and secrecy connected with the Convention being entrusted
to him. It is a notable fact that he was
never beaten as a candidate for <public> office, and that he always ran
largely ahead of his ticket. Few men
have done more effective work for their party; but in the performance of
official duties he knew no party, no friend, no enemy – he simply did his duty,
and always did it well. Socially Mr.
Pulcifer is a Freemason, and instrumental in establishing a Lodge of that
Fraternity at Shawano. He has always
been a total abstainer, and has taken more or less active part in the
temperance cause, for several years past having been a prominent member of the
temple of Honor in Wisconsin, in which Order he, in 1883-84, was grand chief
Templar of the State.
Mr. Pulcifer owns one of the finest private
collections of minerals, curios, etc., to be found in the State, many of which
are of much value; and besides what he has in his own <display> cabinet
he has presented many interesting specimens to the Wisconsin State Historical
Society and to Lawrence University, Appleton.
His collection is the result of fifteen years research throughout the
several States he has visited, and to give an idea as to its value it may be
further mentioned that Mr. Pulcifer carries an insurance on it of $500.00. He has amassed considerable property, owns a
pleasant home in Shawano, with large, fine, well-kept lawn shaded with pines
and oaks. The village of Pulcifer, in
Green Valley Township, Shawano County, was named in his honor. Such is a brief sketch of one of Wisconsin’s
successful business citizens, one possessed of much natural ability, supported
by a due allowance of courage, acumen, and, perhaps, best of all, sound
judgment in all his acts, and to be
relied upon as a friend under all circumstances.
Charles M. Upham
Charles Upham was born in 1837. As a young man he worked in the Weed and Gumaer General Store in Weyauwega, Wisconsin. In 1867, when he was 21 years old, he walked to Shawano from New London (32 miles) and opened Shawano’s first major General Store. His goods and provisions were poled up the Wolf River by Indians on barges from New London.
The Upham General Store was later incorporated as Upham and Russell. Russell was Upham’s brother in law and one of the very few male employees of the company who was not a Mason.
The original Upham building was 16 foot by 18 foot and was located where the Farmers Brewing Building now stands. From these modest beginnings, the Upham and Russell Company grew until it was described in 1875 as “the largest general merchandise (store) in Northern Wisconsin”.
Charles Upham was the brother of William Upham, a mill owner in the town of Angelica, who, after the Peshtigo fire, moved to Marshfield and later, in 1894, was elected Governor of the State of Wisconsin.
Charles Upham was more than a successful merchant. He was a civic leader.
1861 Postmaster of Shawano County
1862 Purchased interest in the Shawano County Journal from Masonic Brother Myron McCord and became its editor.
1865 Purchased a hotel at the northeast corner of Main and Green Bay Street.
1868 Founder of Shawano Masonic Lodge #170
1875 Elected Shawano’s second mayor (Shawano’s first Mayor was his Brother D.H. Pulcifer).
(The editor of the newspaper Western Advance of Portage City wrote on April 20, 1875: “We have known Shawano when there one saloon for every fifty inhabitants and it was one of the worst places we ever saw, though being a lumber town, most of the drunkenness was with the transient population. All honor to the first two Mayors of Shawano who have dared not only to enforce the Sunday Law, but prohibit the sale of liquor altogether.”)
1876 Temperance Law fights in the city council became so heated three aldermen and Mayor Upham resigned.
1881 Organizer of Shawano Water and Power and River Improvement Company. The company built a dam across the Wolf for waterpower purposes.
1893 Became the owner of water powered gristmill where the Shawano Paper Mill now stands.
1900 Reorganized Shawano County Bank as Shawano first national bank chartered under the laws of the United States. He was president of it and it’s successor First National Bank for twenty years.
Charles M. Upham, one of the founders of the Masonic Lodge, is an important part of our heritage as Shawano Masons.
Remembering Charles M Upham
A Well-Liked Shawano Businessman
By John Mutter, Jr.
What really excites me is coming across a well-written biography of someone who was an important in our local history. I decided to look for background information on the late Charles M. Upham. I found out his date of death and then went to the microfilm at the Shawano Library. I searched the past copies of the Shawano County Advocate newspaper. Usually obituaries are not that lengthy, but the Advocate wrote extensively about the death of Upham. Then I searched through the archives at the Shawano County Historical Society and came upon a real treasure. I found a biography of Mr. Upham’s life compiled by Caroline Nikolay. It was dated March 1953. Ms. Nicolay’s source was Robert A Upham, Charles Upham’s son. Between the two sources, this is what I found.
Charles M. Upham was born at Westminster, Massachusetts on September 21, 1837. His parents were Alvin and Sarah and there were eight other siblings in the family. His earily education was obtained I common schools of Massachusetts and later in high school at Racine, Wisconsin. He quit high school and worked for some time as a clirk in Racine. Later he worked for Weed and Gumaer in Weyauwega (relatives of the Shawano Gumaer’s).
In 1858 at the age of 21, Upham walked 32 miles to Shawano from New London. There were no wagon roads, only an American Indian trail from New London. Everything was forested at that time and Shawano’s population was less than 100 people. With $600.00 in savings, he built and opened a 16-by-18 foot store, where the Farmers Brewing building stands today. His order of merchandise, consisting of a few groceries, a few provisions, and very little dry goods was poled up the Wolf River by American Indians on a barge all the way from New London.
Many different logging companies began dealing with Upham. Henry Sherry had, at one time, 32 logging camps and were all supplied by the Upham store
In 1870 the co-partnership Upham and Russell was formed. Russell was a brother-in-law of Upham. In 1884 the partnership became a corporation, with the addition of George W. Gibbs and R. W. Jackson. The company at that time owned about 100,000. Acres of choice farm and timber lands.
Charles married Julia F. Parsons of Thompson, Illinois in 1872 and they had two children, Sarah Upham Robinson and Robert Allen Upham.
In1908, Charles Upham celebrated his fiftieh anniversary in business in Shawano and published a pamphlet about his years in business. The floor space of his first store was 288 square feet and 50 years later the space required was 52,064. (The Upham-Russell building is located at the North/West corner of Division and South Main Street).
Mr. Upham helped form the Shawano County Bank, which later became the First National Bank, followed in succession by Shawano National Bank and Valley Bank and is M & I Bank today. He served as President for 20 years.
In 1891 Upham chipped in $5,000 along with an equal amount from Madison Lumber Company to have a dam constructed on the Wolf River. Upham felt a dam on the Wolf would bring more businesses to Shawano.
Upham bought the Kast Flour Mill, which was located on the South bank of Shawano Creek, near the Island and moved it to River and Richmond Street on the Wolf River. After the dam was constructed, the flour mill was not feasible on Shawano Creek. Upham realized how essential a flour and grist mill was to the community.
Mr. Upham’s brother, William Henry Upham was the governor of Wisconsin from 1895-1897. Charles never held a political office, and concentrated on being a businessman.
Charles M. Upham died at 3:00 a.m. on November 18, 1913. He had been sick for three to four weeks with a cold and stomach trouble. He had been one of the best-known merchants in northern Wisconsin. He was a generous man, helping hundreds of needy people through the years.
Mr. Upham had been a charter member of Shawano Masonic Lodge and his honorary pallbearers were; D.H. George, Alex Peterson, H. Murdock and Marion Wescott—all old settlers in the County and long standing Masons. The active pallbearers were; Dr. W.H. Cantwell, M.J. Wallrich, A. Kuckuk, C. Brooks, H.O. Hayter and J.C. Pulcifer.
The service was held at the Presbyterian Church on November 21, 1913. During the funeral all business places in Shawano were closed. It was the largest funeral ever held in Shawano—thousands of people paid tribute. The church was mostly reserved for people who were close to Mr. Upham’s life. The Masonic order occupying the right section, the family and relatives the center and employees and wives the left hand seats.
Before the services were held the eighth grade of Lincoln school and the high school pupils took a last look at Mr. Upham. The eulogy was given by Rev. J.A. McGreasham. After the reading of the scriptures, the quartet sang and then Miss Emmeline Jackson sang an appropriate song.
The ending to the Shawano Advocate’s November 18, 1913 obituary is fitting to end this story of Charles M. Upham. “A good man has gone to his reward”.
Antone Kuckuk was born in Schleislingerville (now known as Slinger), Wisconsin on February 3, 1863.
He was instrumental in founding the Wisconsin National Bank, later called the Shawano National Bank and now part of M & I Bank, the State Bank of Gresham, the Farmers State Bank of Beaver Dam and the State Bank of Caroline. He was President of the Menominee Motor Car Company and a director of the four wheel drive company in Clintonville.
For many years he was a member of the Shawano County Board and of the Shawano School Board. Antone was elected to the State Assembly in 1906 and was elected to the Wisconsin Senate in 1916 and again in 1920.
He was initiated an Entered Apprentice in Shawano Lodge #170 on January 13, 1888, passed to the degree of Fellocraft on March 15, 1888, and raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason on May 4, 1888.
Antone Kuckuk was Shawano Lodge #170’s first Wisconsin Grand Lodge Officer, serving as Grand Pursivant in 1896.
ANTONE KUCKUK - This
gentleman needs no introduction to the citizens of Shawano, for---whether in
business or social circles—there are few men in that thriving little city, or
indeed in Shawano county, who are better or more favorably known. Though yet a young
man, he occupies a most prominent position among the successful and influential
citizens of the county, and the fact that the position has been attained solely
by his own efforts proves that the esteem in which he is held is well
Kuckuk is one of Wisconsin's native sons, born February 10, 1863, in
Schleisingerville, Washington county, son of Henry Kuckuk, who in 1843
emigrated to the United States from Germany, his native country, and locating
at Racine, Wis., then a new town in a new and unsettled region, engaged in
various kinds of labor in and near that place. When a young man he wedded Miss
Theresa Mueller, also a native of Germany, who came to the United States in
girlhood with her stepfather, Frederick Menger, and to this union came children
as follows: William, of Wausau, Wis.; Henry, who is local agent of the New Home
Sewing Machine Co., at Marinette, Wis.; Antone Kuckuk, whose name opens this
sketch; George, a clerk, of Shawano; John, street commissioner of Shawano; and
Carrie, Mrs. George Smith, of Jamestown, N. Dak. The father of this family
served in the Civil War as a member of the Forty-fifth Wis. V. I. He died
at Wausau, Wis., May 4, 1869, whither the family had moved when our subject was
but a child, and being a working man, laboring hard to support his family, he
left his widow and children with scarcely any means; Mrs. Kuckuk passed her
last years at the home of her son Antone, in Shawano, dying May 4, 1892, at the
age of sixty-three years. She sleeps her last sleep in Shawano
subject proper of this sketch was but six years of age at the time of his
father's decease. The family, not being well acquainted in Wausau shortly
afterward removed to Schleisingerville where they had formerly resided, but the
widowed mother, being without means, found it impossible to keep her family
together, and they were soon scattered. Our subject took up his home with his
grandfather, Fred Menger, and received his education in the common schools,
which he attended only up to the age of twelve years, having since that time
earned his own livelihood. When twelve years old he began as roustabout, in the
"Wisconsin Hotel," at Hartford, Wis., his salary beng five dollars a
month, and about two years later he went to Wausau, Wis., where he entered the
employ of John Kiefer, a general merchant at that place, as clerk. It was his
first experience in this line, but he proved very apt in learning the business,
and retained his position four years, or until April, 1881, when he found an
opening in Shawano, a situation having been offered him by H. H. Andrews, with
whom he remained nearly five years. In September, 1885, Mr. Kuckuk embarked in
a new enterprise, taking charge of the jewelry business previously conducted by
G. D. Tolman, which came into his hands as the principal creditor; the stock of
goods then on hand did not amount to more than $250, and Mr. Kuckuk entered the
business reluctantly. Having once commenced, however, he resolved to give it
due attention, and having increased the stock, he devoted himself to it with
such success that the rooms he had moved into in May, 1887, were found to be
too small for the now prosperous and increasing business, and in 1890 the
substantial business block (one of the best in Shawano) of Kuckuk &
Pulcifer was completed. In this building are two commodious business
rooms, one occupied by the jewelry business, of which Mr. Kuckuk is sole
proprietor, and the other by the grocery business of Kuckuk & Pulcifer, in
which he has a half interest. On February 2, 1895, Mr. Kuckuk received a
diploma from the Chicago Ophthalmic College, and he is the only graduate in
ophthalmology in Shawano county. He has a jewelry business the size of which
would do credit to a city double the size of Shawano, and he also deals
extensively in pianos, organs and other musical instruments. This result has
been brought about by the good management which characterizes Mr. Kuckuk in
every business he has undertaken, and which has been a potent factor in the
success which has followed him throughout his business career. In 1890 he
became a member of the firm of Kuckuk & Pulcifer, who conduct a flourishing
grocery business in Shawano, and he is also a stockholder in the Shawano Shoe
never neglecting his own business affairs, Mr. Kuckuk has always given his aid
and support to any enterprise for the improvement of Shawano and the
advancement and welfare of the community in general, and he is at present
serving as a director of the Shawano Water Power and River Improvement Co. He
has served as a member of the county board from Shawano, and was supervisor of
the Second Ward of Shawano for one term; he is a Republican in political faith,
but takes no interest in politics as a "politician." Socially, he is
a member of the F. & A. M., being connected with Shawano Lodge No. 170, of
which he is the present master, and of the Temple of Honor, in which he is now
serving as trustee, and he has held every office in the Order, of which he has
been a leading active member. On October 20, 1885, Mr. Kuckuk was united
in marriage, in Shawano, with Miss Mary E. Pulcifer, who was born January 27,
1865, in Fond du Lac, Wis., daughter of Daniel H. and Anna E. (Wright)
Pulcifer, and to this union have come two children: Athol O., born January 28,
1887, and Inez B., born July 13, 1892, both living. In 1890 Mr. Kuckuk built a
beautiful home in the Second ward of Shawano. Mrs. Kuckuk is a member of the
Methodist Church. Enterprising and progressive, our subject is identified with
every movement which promises to quicken the march of progress in his town and
county, where he has hardly an equal among those of his age, as a self-made man
of recognized worth and abilty.
Biographical Record of the Upper Wisconsin
Counties of Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Marathon, Lincoln, Oneida, Vilas, Langlade,
Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co 1895
Copied & transcribed by Elaine O’
Brother William McKinley Wallrich
Brother William McKinley Wallrich was born in Shawano on October 28, 1894. He was the oldest son of Shawano Attorney Brother M.J. Wallrich.
The United States entered World War 1 by declaration on April 6, 1917. On May 12, 1917, just 36 days after our entrance into the war, Brother William Wallrich enlisted in the U.S. Army. He trained at Fort Sheridan and received his commission as a First Lieutenant in November of 1917.
He returned to Shawano for a few weeks furlough at the end of November.
William McKinley Wallrich petitioned Shawano Lodge #170 F.& A.M. for the degrees of Masonry on December 6, 1917. On that same day he was elected to receive them.
By special dispensation from the Grand Master of Masons in Wisconsin, waiting periods had been waved and Brother Wallrich was initiated an Entered Apprentice on December 6, 1917. He was passed to the Degree of Fellocraft on December 8, 1917 and was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason on December 11, 1917-having passed the examination satisfactory to the Master of Shawano Lodge, who was Brother Ira Weeks.
Brother Wallrich was raised a Master Mason five days after his petition was received. No one in our Lodge history – before or after – has been accorded such advantage. This speaks volumes for the esteem in which Brother Wallrich was held by the Brethren of this Lodge.
Brother Wallrich’s petition to join the Order of Free and Accepted Masons was signed by Brothers W.H. Cantwell and Dayn E. Wescott. The committee investigating his bona fides was composed of Brothers King Weeman, Anton Kuckuk and Ralph R. Harper.
Brother Wallrich reported to camp Green at Charlotte, North Carolina and remained there until March of 1918. He was a member of Company F, 38th infantry, 3rd Division and served as Regimental Gas Warfare officer.
On July 23, 1918 – some four months after leaving the United States and during the Aisne-Marne offensive at Joulgonne, France, Brother Wallrich was killed by shrapnel while carrying food to men who were lying in the field.
A memorial service for Brother Wallrich was held at the Shawano St. John’s Episcopal Church. The newspaper report in included the following comment;
“At a special meeting of the Masonic Lodge Thursday evening, fitting resolutions were adopted concerning the death of their member.”
“Memorial services were held in the Episcopal Church on Monday afternoon for the late William McKinley Wallrich. The Church was crowded with friends and relatives and the Masonic Lodge attended the same in body. We are told there were 56 brothers present.”
In 1918 a street in Fort Sheridan was named after Brother Wallrich.
The Portrait of Brother Wallrich hangs in the Lodge hall as an appropriate memorial to a Brother fallen in the First World War.
Copyright © 2005 – 2017 All Rights Reserved Shawano area Masons
This is the official website for the Shawano area Masons.
This information is provided as a public service only and is not intended
to be used for commercial purposes. If you have any problems
or comments about this web site please contact the webmaster.
Copyright © 2005 – 2017 — All Rights Reserved. Shawano Area Masons
This site follows the Coppa guidelines